How Does An Office Move Affect Employees
It is hard to predict how a move will affect employees since all are different and are affected differently.
It is very important therefore to communicate the changes that are coming as soon as they are known and to involve employees in discussions. This gives employees time to adjust to the changes and also to plan their personal action plan and how things will affect them.
Most companies make the decision to move because it's best for their bottom line; this is what companies must do to ensure their viability. However, it doesn't mean that employee needs shouldn't be considered.
* Let employees know where the new office will be located and what kind of changes to their daily commute this might entail.
* If there are issues, bring these forward to the affected employees to let them know their options, whether that's helping out with transit fees or parking space.
* If possible, allow those employees affected by the move, to have a more flexible schedule.
* Let employees know if there will be a change in parking space and if they'll have parking paid. Ask employees ahead of time what they require so you can try to provide enough parking for everyone who requires it.
Communicating with employees on a regular basis about the move is the key.
* As soon as you can, let employees know about the move. You should try to give them enough time to ensure that the new location will work for them, so they can get used to the idea of moving and make the right decisions for themselves.
* In return, provide employees with a feedback form that they can submit either anonymously or with their name attached. Allow employees the opportunity to express their concerns, put forward questions and ensure that there's sufficient time set aside for company-wide meetings.
Once you know where the company is moving to, what the new space will look like and a time frame established, it's a good idea to have employees get more involved in the move.
* Ask staff their opinion on how the new office space will work, how things could be set up for efficiency, staff enjoyment and overall working environment.
* Find out if there are things about the current (old) office that didn't work and that might be improved in the new space.
* If your company has decided to re-brand as part of the move, ask employees to contribute their opinion to the new company look.
* Create an information package about the new neighborhood. If your company has been located in one place for a while, employees will have their favorite eating spots, coffee shops and business-related services nearby. To help with the transition, create a list of local businesses that are in the new neighborhood, including restaurants, cafes, gyms, day care centers, dry cleaners and grocery stores.
What about employees' rights? How does it affect them and their families? Is it against their contract to be expected to relocate to a new city? Does the company have to pay relocation costs/help find new accommodation?
If your employer moves the location of your office your rights and commitments depends on the terms of your contract of employment. Some contracts can contain a mobility clause which can require you to move with the office. If your contract contains a mobility clause then your employers usually have the power to force you to move according the limitations allowed in the clause. If the relocation causes you little extra logistical effort then it would most likely be unreasonable to refuse to move. However, if it involves a complicated or long journey or it affects personal matters such as your children's education or your family circumstances it would be allowable for you to refuse.
However, if there is no mobility clause in your contract and you do not want to move then your employer has the right to make you redundant. He can only make you redundant if the job at your current offices no longer exists or he has offered you an alternative but you refuse the job because it is unsuitable for you.
ABOUT 360 OFFICE MOVING
360 moving is a Vancouver moving company that has successfully performed office moves in Vancouver from small moves to moving equipment for large corporations. Corporate moves can arranged for evenings or weekends to accommodate your business needs. Each office move will be assigned to an office relocation specialist to ensure the move progresses efficiently and in an orderly fashion. Removable labels can be supplied, to organize the office move to the new location
They handle everything from office equipment, furniture, laboratories, data centers, machinery, electronics, store fixtures and general commodities. Whether your shipment is boxed, crated, pad-wrapped or palletized, they have the experience and equipment to handle your move.